Thursday, December 31, 2015

A demigod


One of the joys of childhood is that it allows for sports’ heroes.  Fans tend to reach an age where the suspension of disbelief becomes difficult if not impossible.  We want to know why Joe was at the strip club instead of home with the family or why speaking in full sentences is so hard for him.  With luck, though, you can hold onto the heroes from your youth.

So, I always delighted in meeting Billy Pierce and Minnie Minoso, or Walt Williams; among other things, they made me feel like a kid again, as did reading today’s obituary for Bears’ great and HOFer Doug Atkins.  As a 12-year old, I was naturally drawn to a player with the same first name.  That he happened to stand 6’8” gave me hope I might get that tall, too, someday.  Alas, I stopped eight inches short.

Atkins was a monster of a defensive end who played 12 of his 17 years in the NFL for the Bears, from 1955 to 1966.  One thing I never understood was why he wanted to get out of town so badly.  Now I do.  The NYT obituary noted how Atkins and coach George Halas once fought over a difference of $500 in contract negotiations.  Halas said Atkins would just spend the money if he got it, to which his player replied, “Coach, that is what I want it for.”

Then there was the time the team came into locker room trailing at halftime in a game early one season.  Halas, in his role as emperor, wouldn’t allow players to have a Coke, but Atkins took one, anyway.  This led to a struggle between the short man and the tall one.  I can’t imagine that happening today.  Oh, and the Bears came from behind to win.

No comments:

Post a Comment