Sunday, December 6, 2015

The Abyss


Tomorrow starts the baseball winter meetings in Nashville, which means four days of news, rumors and intrigue, the lifeblood of the sport in its hot-stove phase.  After that, the abyss.

I can watch football and enjoy basketball, but the one is basically a Sunday commercial fest while the other doesn’t get real until midway through the third quarter.  Hockey?  It just never clicked with me.  Golf?  If I end up in hell, golf will be my eternity, not playing a game I dislike but watching it, the ball forever soaring against the blue sky to land on the green at Pebble Beach, the gallery laughing politely as Bill Murray makes a fool of himself; it’ll be Groundhog Day through eternity.  Maybe I should mention some of the other winter sports like skating and skiing, but that would just be too depressing.  I may as well strap a snowshoe on my head.

Let me note here that old, normal people such as myself don’t go biking in winter; that’s for young kamikaze types.  But if the weather holds this week, I may walk the 606 Trail and daydream of a South Side Renaissance the product of the winter meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment