Saturday, December 19, 2015

Gilbert, Ask What LeBron Would Do


 During a timeout of the Cavs-Celtics’ game Tuesday night, LeBron James looked up at the video board, which was playing a tribute to a 16-year old with severe brain damage who happens to be a two-sport athlete in high school and an MVP at a recent Special Olympics event held in Boston.  The fans gave the kid a standing ovation.  Let me repeat—a Boston crowd showed some class.  Then it got even better.

James broke from the team huddle, walked over to the young man and messed his hair; for that kid, it was as if God had come down through the roof to say, Hi.  After the game, James said he didn’t do it for the fans or the media.  “When I saw that, when I saw his story, it was just like, I don’t know, I felt like I was a part of him.” 

Out of the mouths of babes and the occasional sports’ mega star come words of true wisdom.  I nearly cried after seeing a clip of the James-fan encounter.  LeBron James taught a lesson beyond X’s and O’s.  I may never root against the Cavaliers again.

No comments:

Post a Comment