Monday, May 2, 2016

Check Your Local Listings


 I always thought that New Yorkers were loath to leave the center of the universe; ditto Bostonians.  But there must be a whole bunch of East Coasters relocated to Cook County that I don’t know about.  How else to explain all three games of the weekend Yankees-Red Sox series being available to Chicago audiences, courtesy of MLB Network and ESPN?

Personally, I kind of like watching the Yankees because they’re so old they make me look and feel young.  But if I want to scout other teams starting the season off hot, well, either I get the MLB package, or I try to tune in games on the radio.  Come in, Wake Island, are you there?

The East Coast bias in sports’ broadcasting is a given.  The Cubs will get some attention because they’re lovable and the roster was rebuilt by Theo Epstein, one of those relocated Bostonians I mentioned earlier.  Any success on the North Side in the years to come will be traced back to the East Coast, trust me.  The only way to get their attention otherwise is to sweep one of the two icon teams in a series, and, hey, the Red Sox will be in town tomorrow to kick off a three-game set against the White Sox.  But with John Danks scheduled to start on Wednesday, I’m not feeling too good about a sweep.

No comments:

Post a Comment