Sunday, May 15, 2016

Never Can Say Goodbye


Yesterday, Clare graduated from Valparaiso University with a master’s degree in sports’ administration, only we didn’t go.  For that matter, neither did she.  Instead, the three of us watched the sixth-seed Valpo Crusaders qualify for the NCAA tournament by winning their Horizon League tournament at UIC in Chicago.  Even more improbable, the Crusaders did it in the winner’s bracket.  Oh, did I mention that they came back from a 4-0 deficit in the bottom of the seventh and then won in extra innings?  I should have.

And let me tell you about the weather, 47 degrees—40 degree wind chill—with clouds and wind gusting from any damn’ direction it wanted.  Let it be said that on May 14, 2016, I was wearing long underwear, a hat, gloves and two sweatshirts in order to survive watching a college softball game.  I also kept my mouth shut rather talk back to these two Wright State fans next to me who were just ever so smart and certain that Valpo would fold after putting up a good fight.

Of course, the real thing here for a certain father and daughter is how unreal it all felt.  Clare willed herself a connection with the team as a walk-on graduate assistant last year.  Me, I couldn’t tell you any of the players’ names without the scoreboard telling me.  But if you’re employing my kid, I’m rooting for you.  (Please, Clare, do not take a job with the Yankees.)  I couldn’t help but feel the same excitement the other half-frozen Valpo fans did as their kids came back from the abyss to tie the score with two runs on a two-out hit and then win the game when [insert player’s name here] beat the tag at the plate to win it.

After the ceremonies, I wandered around the field a little like Henry Fleming in The Red Badge of Courage.  What exactly had just happened?  I couldn’t say, other than that the Wright State players were all huddled together like a group of POWs while the Crusaders partied like it was 1999.

How especially great for the Valpo seniors, to be going to the NCAA.  How altogether terrible for the Wright State seniors, that this loss should be their last college game.  How much like life sports can be when we let them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment