Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Just a Matter of Time


 Last night’s White Sox-Rangers’ game started at 7:05 PM and ended two minutes shy of 11:05.  The game might have ended in under 2-1/2 hours had the White Sox bullpen not been so generous.  But extra innings it was, and a White Sox win in twelve thanks to Todd Frazier’s grand slam.

Only I’m too old for this, and I wonder how many baseball fans aren’t.  At some point, the Toyota and Dodge commercials blend together, and I’m seeing Jose Abreu doing donuts in the batter’s box.  Back when Clare was in travel ball, there was something called the international tie breaker for games that went into extra innings—every half-inning started with a runner on second; somebody usually scored soon enough to put sunbaked parents out of their misery.  I’m not suggesting the tie breaker for baseball, but…

Thank God for TiVo.  When the mood strikes, I can record an entire game or replay the last half hour.  At 10:30, it was time for option #2.  I finished reading the paper and a magazine and then fast-forwarded along to the good stuff, viz., Frazier’s slam.  As for those late-night West Coast games, I’m content to find a box score online.  Call it age, wisdom or what have you.

No comments:

Post a Comment