Saturday, August 26, 2017

More of the Above, Contd. Again


It was twelve years ago this weekend, with Clare starting eighth grade and my Auntie Fran celebrating her 80th birthday.  (The card for #92 went out on Monday.)

You could say that everyone was on pins and needles; Clare had just tried out for two travel teams, and we were waiting to hear back from them.  I had never seen my daughter perform at such an intense level before the way she did at the first tryout; Pony baseball had been a slightly more casual affair.  Among other things, we didn’t use a stopwatch to time anyone running the bases.
The day before my aunt’s birthday, Clare put on a second display at a tryout, pretty much rifling every pitch she saw from the pitching machine; at one point she hit the coach who was sitting by the machine and taking notes on each player.  At the end of the tryout, he came up to me and said, “In the fifteen years I’ve been doing this, I have never seen anyone so relaxed at the plate or with hands so fast.” Yes, I wrote it down the better to remember, that and when he said, “Obviously, you’re thinking college.”

In truth, I was thinking my aunt’s birthday party, eighth grade, high school and the possibility of the White Sox going to the World Series (they did), in no particular order.  Clare was 13 at the time.  What did I know about college softball?  I didn’t even know she’d basically tried out for a 16u team.

After the barbecue and birthday cake, we came home early that Sunday evening.  Clare got two phone calls, within minutes of each other.  One coach had changed his mind and now wanted her on his team, the other just wanted her.  Nothing was ever the same after that.

It’s a good memory folded into another.

No comments:

Post a Comment