Saturday, August 19, 2017

What a Load


White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf deigned to do an interview with USA Today’s Bob Nightengale, who predicted Reinsdorf’s selection to Cooperstown one day.  Yeah, but only if he pays the price of admission first, if I have anything to say about it.

Reinsdorf was in fine form, peddling his crap about how, “As an owner of this team, I have an obligation to do what’s right for the fans.  The real owner of a team is the fans; the owner is a custodian.  I will be gone one day, but [the] fans will still be there.  So you’ve got to run the team [and do] what’s right for the fans and not even think about how old I am.”

What a crock.  Custodian?  I wouldn’t hire the guy as a part-time janitor, not that he’d be qualified.  Where was the custodian when he threatened to move the fans’ team to Tampa?  When did the custodian ask me if I wanted a new, publicly funded stadium, which meant tearing down a landmark in the process?  Did the custodian bother to call to ask my opinion about dealing away Chris Sale?  Damn’ right I intend to be around after he’s gone.  And I want my fair share of the sales’ price after the custodian sells the team.

Reinsdorf got one thing right in distinguishing between the Sox rebuild and those done by the Cubs and Astros.  “They had a honeymoon [as teams with new owners].  With us, we were the guys who made the team bad.  We were the ones who took us from a World Series winner to a non-contender.”

That’s right, Jerry.  And this is one part-owner who won’t let you forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment