Sunday, August 13, 2017

Not Fit for Prime Time


Clare finds herself a de facto football widow these days.  Her fiancé Chris is out the door at 6 AM and back roughly sixteen hours later; such is the life of a college offensive line coach in season.  So, my daughter wasn’t exactly in the best of moods when she visited Saturday afternoon.  The Little League World Series only made it worse.

“Why do they broadcast this?” she wanted to know, half-daring me to defend the thought process of TV producers.  But after the scandal involving the Jackie Robinson Little League team from Chicago a few years ago, I’m done with that.  Ditto ESPN broadcasting some 14U girls’ softball travel ball championship.  Really, this is God’s way of telling us to get out of the house and enjoy the summer while we can.

Oh, I love 12-year olds playing baseball, which is what Clare did; the jump to softball didn’t happen for over another year.  There’s not greater thrill than watching your kid hit a walk-off homerun.  I was so blessed on July 2, 2004.  I have the ball and the memory.  Why can’t that be enough for Little League and ESPN?

No comments:

Post a Comment