Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Take a Cold Shower


The way we dress conveys all sorts of messages—dress like a slob, get taken for a slob, if you will.  Dress for work, be taken as someone seriously on the job.  Alas, the one exception appears to be women sports’ commentators, Jessica Mendoza excepted.

Not long ago, I turned on the MLB Network to catch ex-player Eric Byrnes going ga-ga over the heels worn by his female co-host; she, on the other hand, said nothing about his shoes.  Then, over the weekend I happened on an NFL preseason broadcast; the studio co-host was wearing an off-the-shoulder number, and I don’t mean the guy.  This is gender stereotyping by décolletage, hemlines and spike heels.

I suspect that the female broadcasters were adhering to a dress code, stated or implied.  All I know is that women on sports’ broadcasts show a lot more skin than their male counterparts, who on average also look a heck of a lot older.  If I were master of the universe, or just the head of a television network, I would mandate grownup clothes for the on-air talent and make sure they had something to say.  Otherwise, bye-bye.

I mean, do we really need to watch and hear the likes of Terry Bradshaw or Howie Long?    

No comments:

Post a Comment