Monday, January 15, 2018

A Mashup on Your Radio Dial


A Mashup on Your Radio Dial

Yesterday afternoon, Michele and I went to my sister’s, a good half-hour drive from us.  A Sunday afternoon in January, it was NFL playoff time.  I’d forgotten how good sports can sound on the radio.

The Jaguars and Steelers were trading touchdowns on the way there, while Drew Brees was throwing interceptions on the way back.  I got back home to see Case Keenum hit Stefon Diggs with pretty much of a Hail-Mary pass of 61 yards to win the game with no time left on the clock.  Whoa, Nellie!  But Keith Jackson did television, right?  I bet he grew up listening to football on the radio, though.
A very long time ago when I was dumber than I am now, I was driving with a friend through a mountain range out West, at night.  An Oakland A’s game faded in and out, depending on the curve and elevation of the road.  A few inches too far to the left or the right, and that game could’ve been the last thing we ever heard in our lives.  Instead, some forty years later, I’m driving along the Stevenson Expressway listening to an announcer describing cold, snowy, foggy Minneapolis-St. Paul.  Oh, my.

No comments:

Post a Comment