Saturday, January 27, 2018

Patriots


When my sister Barb moved into her first (and since 1972, only) house, my father bought an American flag as a housewarming gift.  He did the same for me fifteen years later.

I’ve flown that flag so much it’s gone to our tailor’s for repairs and, when that didn’t work, to the Betsy Ross of Wisconsin Avenue, aka my daughter.  Clare worked at the sewing machine in the dining room until I was satisfied that each and every hole was mended.  The flag will be out next on Memorial Day.

That’s also when I trot out a wooden, five-foot tall Uncle Sam flag-stand; his hands come together to hold a flag.  Uncle Sam stays up through Halloween, at which point people start complaining they can’t remember which house on the block is ours.  Come the Fourth of July, I also hang bunting out front.  The American eagle my father salvaged from a bank remodeling stands guard over the backyard all year long.

So, I’m more than happy to stand alongside Uncle Sam and tell people what I think of our President (not much) or those people who consider the phrase e pluribus unum and the term “melting pot” to be micro-aggressions (again, not much).  As for the AMVETS organization pulling its ad from the Super Bowl program, I’d rank them with Mr. Trump and the overly sensitive.

The veterans’ group wanted to run something that included the words “Please Stand,” but the NFL asked it to consider alternatives like “Please Honor our Veterans” or “Please Stand for our Veterans.”  AMVETS is accusing the NFL of “imposing corporate sponsorship” against veterans who have fought for our rights.  Sorry, guys, but you’re being too cute by half.

“Please Stand” is meant to draw attention to those NFL players who haven’t this season during the playing of the National Anthem.  Last time I checked, though, their protests focused on police brutality against minorities had absolutely nothing to do with the U.S. armed forces. 

Or is AMVETS unable to tell the difference between Dallas and Afghanistan?  It sure looks that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment