Friday, November 30, 2018

Uniform Standards


I literally just got off the phone with Clare, who was walking to her physical therapy appointment; another two months of grunts and groans on her right shoulder, and my daughter may be ready to step into the batting cages come spring training.  This gave me the chance to ask if she’d heard about Steph Curry and the nine-year old girl.  She had.

The girl in question, Riley Morrison, is a basketball player who wanted a pair of Curry shoes that Under Armour puts out, only there were none available on the UA website for a girl her size.  So, Riley wrote Curry to ask what was up, and the two-time MVP, a father of two girls, actually answered her.  It seems that the smaller sizes were mislabeled as “boys,” a problem since rectified.  But it gives you an idea what female athletes have to contend with.

For Clare, just getting dressed was a challenge.  Through eighth grade, whether she was playing baseball or softball, she had to buy what were in effect male hand-me-downs, from pants to sliding shorts.  “I don’t have a boy’s butt,” as my daughter put it ever so delicately.  She had the same problem finding cleats and gloves that could be used for her gender even though they were intended for another.  As for softball bats, they did exist twelve years ago, but only at a fraction of the number made for baseball.

Clare used to joke, “When I grow up, I’m going to open a sporting goods’ store for women.”  It looks like there’s still a real need for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment