Saturday, June 27, 2020

Oblivious


Some days, I think it’s the end of the world as we know it, other times, the beginning of a brave new world that may or may not have a place for me.  Most of the time, I’m floating somewhere in between.

 

What fascinates me is the obliviousness of young athletes to this state of affairs, like that kid down the block who keeps hitting off a tee in his backyard.  I also run across numerous videos that softball players tweet of themselves, usually hitting a homerun.  Hey, guys, don’t you know there’s a pandemic going on?

 

That’s the thing—they don’t, not really.  And why should they?  Other people are getting sick, and they have a gift, or a calling or a quest.  If adolescent athletes are oblivious to the dangers around them, I’m betting there are a whole bunch of young ballet dancers, classical musicians and opera singers practicing away while they exist in the very same kind of bubble.  They just don’t live down the block from me, and I don’t see their tweets.

 

Let them play and dance and sing, so long as they maintain a proper distance from the next person and don’t crowd into a bar or basement when they’re done.  When this is all over, we’ll be in need of those talents being honed.

No comments:

Post a Comment