Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Take a Walk


My wife and daughter will tell you how on occasion I’ve reenacted the Bataan Death March with them, except they always manage to live through it.  I do like to walk, and today I took Michele for a stroll along the recently reopened lakefront trail.  We did six miles.

 

The weather pretty much cooperated, with a temperature in the upper 70s and a nice breeze.  We started off wearing our masks, per Mayor Lightfoot’s request, and that put us in a definite minority of walkers, runners and bikers out on the path.  After a mile or so, we lowered the masks to under our chins; that way, we could put them back up if we came on a crowd of people.  But try working up a sweat while wearing a mask.  Believe me, it’s not easy.

 

I’d like to bike the lakefront, only there aren’t any restrooms open yet.  Do you know what’s worse than exercising with a mask on?  Answer:  biking forty miles without taking a bathroom break.  I also wanted to go to the beach this summer.  Good luck with that.  The beaches remain close, and from what I saw today, nobody was tempted to sneak a towel onto the sand at Foster Avenue.  Oh, well.

 

In times like these, it’s best to focus on what you can do as opposed to what you can’t.  Put one foot in front of the other.  After a while, it all adds up, into what I can’t say exactly.  But just getting a chance to walk the lakefront makes life a whole lot more pleasant than it was just the day before.  Of that, I’m sure.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment