Sunday, June 1, 2014

'06-'10-'14


Eight years ago next weekend, Clare graduated eighth grade.  During her party, she snuck in to watch Northwestern play in the Division I Women’s College World Series; the Wildcats finished second.  Four years ago, Clare graduated high school and watched UCLA win the Series.  I watched, too, because that was my job as a father, and to drive to wherever next week’s tournament was being held.

Yesterday, on May 31, 2014, our daughter graduated yet again.  It was a sunny day in Elmhurst, as evidenced by my sunburned forehead and scalp; the commencement speaker went on about achieving goals the way he had in setting up a PPO health plan for some state or country, I’m not sure which.  I was only twenty-four hours removed from a trip to the emergency room for “peripheral vertigo.”  Who knew a human being could vomit so while lying flat down on a floor?

We had a nice lunch after the ceremony, changed and watched this year’s World Series.  We liked Oregon, but they’re out.  And I won’t be driving to a tournament next weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment