Sunday, June 8, 2014

Is Softball Sexist?


Yesterday, Sports Illustrated senior editor Emma Span wrote an op-ed piece in the NYT  asking, “Is Softball Sexist?”  Her answer was an unequivocal Yes.  The funny thing for me is that I’d stop sending pretty much the same essay to the Times after numerous rejections each spring.  Me no write good, I guess.

Anyway, I wanted to know what Clare thought of the piece.  You can’t expect someone who’s just gone through eight years of intense softball on the high school and college levels to turn on her sport, and she didn’t.  What I found interesting, though, was my daughter’s observation that, “All the best hitters I met played baseball first.”  And Clare, of course, belongs among them.
What I’d like to see is the Cubs opening up Wrigley Field to women for a little batting practice as part of its hundred-year anniversary.  I mean, the All American Girls Professional Baseball League was the brainchild of P.K. Wrigley, so why not?   

No comments:

Post a Comment