Tuesday, June 10, 2014

You Just Can't Win


Today, a Chicago sportswriter came up with this gem:  “All of a sudden, the Cubs were trying to complete a perfect homestand.  [They went 5-1.]  How stupid is that?”  No more than slamming them for losing all the time.

I try not to wallow in nostalgia.  While parts of my childhood were idyllic, I never contacted polio, and I never grew up on the other side of a racial boundary that defined so much of Chicago life in the 1950s and ’60s.  That said, I’ll take the old sportswriters to these guys any day.  

For openers, the old-timers made me want to read.  David Condon, Jerome Holtzman and Bill Gleason all came out of the so-called “Greatest Generation.”  I know Gleason saw combat, which may explain his writing style, always direct, nothing wasted, like running from foxhole to foxhole.  The same went for Condon and Holtzman.  Together, they turned baseball into a sport worth following.

And now?  Everyone wants to be the next Jay Mariotti, except for having to go to court over domestic abuse charges. In print and on the air, commentators mock in equal measure to the way networks treat a sport as if they were covering Mother Teresa.  Give me the old days of Condon et al anytime.   

No comments:

Post a Comment