Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Making Book


Where I grew up in Chicago, we had plenty of corner groceries, including Carl’s; my mother sent me there for milk and the Polish sausage.  Rumor had it other people went to place bets with Carl’s partner, Mickey, who was said to make book in the back of the store.  Suffice it to say that from early on in life I’ve associated gambling with various other activities best hidden from view.

So, Monday’s Supreme Court ruling that struck down a federal law restricting state involvement in sports’ betting will in essence put gambling front and center (not far from where Carl stacked the smoked fish next to the cash register).  I’m curious as to how states will insure against underage gamblers.  At Carl’s, you could shoot dice for the Hostess Twinkees.

I also wonder if what promises to be a “golden age” of state-sanctioned gambling will lead Commissioner Rob Manfred to reconsider the ban on Pete Rose and the Black Sox.  You could argue these were players ahead of their times.  If not, MLB will have to come up with rationale why, and something better than to say that was then and this is now.  Personally, I can’t wait.   

No comments:

Post a Comment