Saturday, May 12, 2018

Playing the Fool


Stop the presses!  Rafael Palmeiro, the non-cheat nonpareil, is coming out of retirement.  For some reason, the 53-year old Palmeiro wants to play at a level not even Julio Franco, who retired at age 49, dared.

Palmeiro told reporters, “I’m doing it because I love the game, first of all.  And because I want to get back to proving to myself that I can do this and maybe for some of those people that [sic] think that I cheated, they might think again and say, ‘Well, wait a minute.  He’s 53, he’s playing at this level, he’s playhng in the big leagues [actually, the Cleburne Railroaders of the independent American Association], he’s producing.’  Maybe some of those [people] will say, ‘OK, he did it legitimately.”

Or they could say that Palmeiro lied in his testimony to a Congressional committee that, “I have never used steroids, period” and now he’s lying to himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment