Thursday, July 19, 2018

As I was Saying


All right.  Who can tell me about Serena Williams?  And Elizabeth Cambage?  I thought so.

Cambage, 6’8” center for the Dallas Wings, set a WNBA record Tuesday when she scored 53 points against the New York Liberty.  The only reason I know this is because I happened upon the two sentences the Tribune devoted to Cambage’s feat in Wednesday’s sports’ section; that’s two more sentences than in the Sun-Times, by the way.

Yes, it’s possible that Cambage got big play on TV; my guess would be ESPN, if anywhere.  But I doubt she merited much if any attention on the local stations; the papers would’ve devoted more space if that had happened.  No, this Australian, who happens to be three months older than my daughter, set a record that generated just about as much attention as the proverbial tree falling in the middle of the forest.  Crash—did you hear something?

The sports’ establishment seems most comfortable allotting attention to women athletes in individual sports, viz., tennis and golf.  But basketball?  Good luck getting coverage.  And professional softball?  Homeruns in softball rarely make the nightly news.  Technical problems, no doubt.
I’m of the opinion women’s professional basketball and softball are doomed, absent a massive infusion of money over the course of a decade, not a season or two.  Then again, I’m just a crank who thinks girls should be playing baseball.  Women, too.    

No comments:

Post a Comment