Sunday, July 22, 2018

Say What?


I’m a Bears’ fan in so far as I like to ride my exercycle to something on a Sunday afternoon.  Given that it’s more fun to watch winning football than losing football, I want rookie coach Matt Nagy to do well (as announcers try to figure out the correct pronunciation of his name.  Nah-zhee, anyone?)  But I heard Nagy say something Thursday that gave me pause.

“We have to callous our team a little bit,” Nagy told reporters at the opening of camp.  How exactly “callous” works as a verb Nagy didn’t say, and no reporter as far as I know pressed him to explain.  Two Trib columnists, though, seemed to be on board with the message.  “How refreshing” and “how promising,” said one.  What a “departure from the country-club atmosphere the Bears have had in July and August in recent years,” said the other.

The thing is, the contact that Nagy is promising and much if not all of the local media is looking forward to doesn’t produce callouses; it risks injuries immediate and long term.  Practice hard, yes, but avoid anything that leads to concussions.  No?

No comments:

Post a Comment