Tuesday, July 24, 2018

This is Exactly What I was Talking About


 The White Sox stink too much for me to stay up late for a West Coast game, and, even if they didn’t, I’m too old for that sort of thing.  Instead, I went to bed nice and early, got up refreshed and looked up the score online.  You didn’t think I was going to say I checked the box score in the paper, did you? 

Lo and behold, the 35-61 Sox beat the 50-51 Angels by a score of 5-3.  Anytime young right-hander Lucas Giolito can find the plate, I’m happy, and Giolito found the plate often enough to improve his record to 7-8 (and “lower” his ERA to 6.09).  Oh, but the managing.

Rick Renteria of the Sox used six relievers, four going a third of an inning and one going two thirds of an inning; in contrast, the Angels employed a mere four relievers.  Meanwhile, at the circus known as Joe Maddon’s Cubs, ringmaster Joe again used position players, two to be exact, to pitch in last night’s 7-1 loss to the Diamondbacks; catcher Victor Caratini made his second relief appearance in four days.  Where is any of this good baseball?

Rick, look at your record and tell me why you’re managing like it’s the seventh game of the World Series.  Joe, explain to me why it’s so important to set a record for a team having the most pitching appearances in a season by position players?  Last time I looked, Babe Ruth is dead, and he ain’t coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment