Friday, July 27, 2018

Tour de Me, Stage 60


Right around my birthday, I like to take as long a bike ride as I can stand.  If it doesn’t kill me, I figure I’m good for another year.  On Wednesday, with the temperature scraping 90 degrees, I figured 60 miles would do.  Good news is, I’m still here, though not for lack of effort on the part of the Elmhurst section of the Salt Creek Trail.

At the beginning of the 20th century, some contemporaries of architect and urban planner Daniel “Make No Small Plans” Burnham pushed for the creation of a forest belt to circle Chicago.  Their efforts led to the creation of a system now totaling some 69,000 acres.  This cyclist thanks them for their service.

Parts of the trail I rode Wednesday make you feel like you’re in the middle of the forest primeval; I don’t know whether to expect the Knights of the Round Table to come charging out of the trees, or members of the Wehrmacht.  This particular trail leads to Busse Woods, which is a group of small interconnected lakes surrounded by yet more knight-worthy woods.  Oh, and for reasons I don’t quite understand, a large fenced-in area for a herd of elk.

Like I said, this was a 60-mile undertaking.  Around mile 45, the trail cuts through Elmhurst, not far from where Clare went to college or from where she and Chris now live.  For no good reason that I can see, the section is layered with wood chips; not quite quicksand for a bicycle, but close.  As I was pumping away and probably turning a deep shade of red, a wood chip the size of Rhode Island got caught in my front brakes.  And down I went.
The nice thing about wood chips is they make for a nice cushion when you fall.  The bad thing about wood chips is they can make you fall.  I counted my blessings, with all bones intact, and emailed the Elmhurst park district my thoughts on their choice of trail materials.  Come next year, I may be looking for another trail to take.   

No comments:

Post a Comment