Thursday, September 6, 2018

Catching a Glimpse


The weather at Monday’s ballgame was nothing short of threatening.  I have never seen black-gray clouds billowing so close overhead the way they were in the fifth inning on Labor Day.  Being three rows from the field at Guaranteed Rate Whatever, we opted for the shelter of the concourse.

The concourse is connected to a switchback ramp-way that goes from ground level to the upper deck.  There’s a landing leading to the concourse that I like to look out from; church domes and smokestacks outline the Bridgeport world of my father in his youth.  After a few minutes of this reverie, I gave my clipboard with scorecard attached to Michele so I could use the men’s room.  Alas, the trough urinals of Comiskey Park are no more.

I came back to find my wife and daughter were leaning over a railing of another section of the landing and looking down.  I walked over and glanced down to see the Tigers’ Victor Martinez hitting in the visitors’ batting cage.  Why or how there was an opening in the roof that let us watch I can’t explain, but it was definitely neat.
“Clare heard someone hitting and walked over to here,” Michele explained.  Of course.  Surgery was on my daughter’s shoulder, not her ears

No comments:

Post a Comment