Tuesday, September 11, 2018

This Rookie, That Rookie


Last night in Kansas City, White Sox outfielder Daniel Palka hit his 22nd homerun of the season; it was yet another line drive in a rush to leave the premises.  Palka has now tied Pete Ward for most homeruns by a Sox left-handed hitting rookie.

Ward was one of the Sox stars of my childhood, coming over from Baltimore in the Luis Aparicio deal.  He had two good seasons, 1963 and 1964, and then something happened.  I can still remember a story I read about a car accident; Ward was hurt along with Sox outfielder Floyd Robinson, who at 5’9” once managed to drive in 109 runs with a mere eleven homers (please mull that over, Daniel).  Anyway, Ward and Robinson both experienced a serious drop-off in production after the ’64 season.

I also remember seeing Ward at the last fan fest we attended; Clare wanted to see Aaron Rowand, I was happy to hear Ward talk about hitting a homerun for the Yankees in an exhibition game against the Mets in 1970.  He looked a lot older.
Then again, I did, too, that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment