Thursday, September 20, 2018

On the Road Again


Last week, I challenged my aging body and my aging Schwinn to two trips.  The body held up better than the bike.

My ride on the 606 was going great.  I was making good time, felt pretty decent and had just finished thirty miles when my seat broke; two metal support bars cracked clean through and left me with a very uncomfortable ride back to the car.  The good thing was that I was able to drive to my bike shop and pick up a replacement seat.

Trip #2 was a little more eventful, and irritating.  The city of Chicago has decided to turn the lakefront trail into another Burma Road, and nobody thought to tell me.  Technically, the city is finishing its separation project, with dedicated cyclist-only and pedestrian-only lanes.  Unfortunately, at least for me, nobody bothered with detours around the work areas.  Long story short, riding on gravel for long stretches is not always a good thing for bike tires.  Eventually, you get a flat.  I did, and it was on the wrong, rear, tire.

Front tire, no problem.  You take the wheel off; swap out the punctured tube for a good one, work tube and tire back onto the rim, pump air into the tire; put tire back in place; and off you go.  The back tire, with that derailleur (French for “Give up all hope”), is another story entirely.  I simply can’t get the tire back in place in under a half hour.

Last Thursday, somebody saw me struggling and offered to help.  After about twenty minutes, we were able to work the tire back in place.  I thanked this Good Samaritan and got back on the trail, my hands covered in bicycle-chain grease.  It was only another seven miles to the car and then an hour drive back home in rush-hour traffic.  A towel got some of the grease off, and so did the steering wheel.
Maybe Dylan Thomas was wrong about not going gentle into the good night.  Or maybe he meant “greasy.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment