Monday, April 1, 2019

A Little Misdirection


You probably thought off the past few days I was going to start ragging on the Tribune again, but you’d be wrong.  Oh, I admit it’s tempting to poke fun at Sunday’s two-page spread about…Benny the Bull, the venerable 50-year old mascot of the otherwise woeful Bulls.  But, no, I will pass on such tidbits as Benny now getting health coverage and a possible six-figure salary (in which case, nice work if you can get it) to focus on one of the pictures, of Benny with two assistants.  One of them could have been my daughter.

 

The young woman shown in the photo is either an intern or, possibly, the person who got the job Clare interviewed for with the team several weeks ago.  Only it would’ve meant a pay cut in the vicinity of $20,000.  So, goodbye, Benny.

 

On a related note, I was watching the White Sox game yesterday when who should pop into the broadcast booth but the team vice president for community relations/director of White Sox charities.  She had big news:  the Opening Day “split the pot” drawing would be $50,000!  Let me note here that this person is the senior-most woman working for the organization, whose board of directors has zero, as in 0, female members.  I sometimes think the only thing worse than being a female baseball fan is being a female member of the Catholic Church.

 

Back to the Bulls, they actually have a female associate coach, Karen Stack-Umlauf.  From everything I read and see, she’s the real deal, doing what NBA assistants are supposed to do.  I wonder, though, what goes through her mind on the sideline or in the team huddle when the cheerleaders run out to perform.

No comments:

Post a Comment