Friday, April 19, 2019

Great Minds


Fans lead with their hearts as much as with their heads, which helps explain why Clare and I root for Daniel Palka as our favorite player on the White Sox.  If Palka’s loved ones have suffered with him through his horrific 1-for-35 start to the season, so have we.  In fact, Clare was so upset by it she wanted Palks sent to the minors more than a week ago.  Instead, the Sox waited until Wednesday’s 4-3 loss to the Royals.

 

Addressing reporters after the game, Palka could have been reading from a script prepared by my daughter.  “The numbers kind of speak for themselves.  So, competitively speaking, I myself would have done it earlier.  I’m glad I got a chance.  I’ll be working.”

 

This is the good soldier, humbled even.  For a 27-year old athlete to say he should have been demoted sooner than he was speaks to character.  Now, take a breath, Daniel, and follow the ball to the bat.  Your presence is missed at 35th and Shields.

No comments:

Post a Comment