Tuesday, April 2, 2019

He's No. 1


I prefer my basketball professional style; that way, I don’t have to choke on the hypocrisy of the “student-athlete” label the NCAA likes to throw around come March Madness.  My, my, so many one-and-done student athletes these days, I must say.

 

The latest one of note appears to be Zion Williamson, out of Duke.  The 6’7” small forward is the consensus No. 1 pick in the upcoming NBA draft.  Williamson will likely sign a pro contract at the age of 18 and, barring injury, play as a 19-year old rookie.  Good luck with that.

 

I happened to catch the end of the Michigan State-Duke “elite eight” game Sunday, a 68-67 win by Michigan State.  If my eyes didn’t deceive me, Williamson was walking around the court immediately after the game with the bottom of his jersey tucked in his mouth.  Losing is rarely fun.

So, now it’s onto the NBA draft, where the frontrunners to pick Williamson are the Knicks, Cavaliers, Bulls and Suns.  I wonder how equipped a 19-year old will be to handle losing day-in, day-out while playing against people his size and bigger.  I guess we’ll find out soon enough.            

No comments:

Post a Comment