Monday, August 10, 2015

Hunker Down


The one point Cubs’ and White Sox fans can agree on is that there is no such animal as a “Chicago baseball fan.”  That’s just a fair-weather wannabe who doesn’t know a safety squeeze from a hit-and-run but wants in on the postseason.  To bounce from North Side to South and back depending on playoff possibilities is beyond my comprehension.

I no longer hate the Cubs the way I did in my youth.  I was at a Sox game in 1969 a little before the Great Swoon, courtesy of the Miracle Mets.  The crowd at Comiskey Park was probably in the vicinity of 5,000, max.  The highlight of the night was someone burning a picture of Ron Santo.  You could say the hate runs deep.

No matter what the Cubs do this year or next, we got to the World Series first.  That’s enough.  It has to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment