Thursday, August 6, 2015

TiVo Ball


I work at home, or try to, so watching an afternoon ballgame makes me feel more than a little guilty.  That is, until I started using TiVo the last two years.

It’s weird in a way.  I start to watch a game that could already be over.  I have no idea what will happen with the next pitch, even though the ball was thrown three hours ago.  But if I can keep the psychic queasiness in check, it all works out, like yesterday.

The White Sox scored five runs in the first against the Rays, and I could rerun Avisail Garcia’s three-run homer as often as I liked.  I was also able to power through yet another meltdown by rookie starter Carlos Rodon.  Once upon a time, Rodon would’ve been called a million-dollar bonus baby.  In truth, he’s just a rookie in over his head.  The kid needs to be sent down to learn his craft, no matter what his agent might say.  Scott Boras talks too much as it is.

I caught up to real time by the ninth inning.  In the tenth, Adam Eaton led off with a single.  With Tyler Saladino up, Eaton stole second on a play that saw the throw hit shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera on the side of his head.  (Decent throw, e6).  Down went Cabrera, with Eaton scampering to third.  That’s when Clare called to ask what’d happened.  She was listening to the game on the radio down in Valpo.

We talked as Rays’ pitcher Brad Boxberger walked the next two batters to load the bases and set up the force at home.  “That’s dumb,” I said of manager Kevin Cash’s decision to keep Boxberger in.  “The guy’s just thrown eight straight pitches for balls.  He doesn’t have a feel for strikes right now.”  Sure enough, five pitches later, Avisail Garcia had himself a walk and the White Sox a win.

It was the first time Clare and I had ever shared a win over the phone.  Ah, technology.   

No comments:

Post a Comment