Sunday, August 2, 2015

Wait and See


Sports are different for me now, after having watched Clare play in high school and college.  I watch the pros, and part of me thinks, No one on the field is my kid.  But I try.

In the old days, I would’ve been miserable going to see Lyle Lovett and His Large Band at the Chicago Theatre.  Not that it would have anything to do with Mr. Lovett, a musician-songwriter as talented as he quirky.  But the concert started at 7 PM, an hour into the White Sox-Yankee game.  Did I mention how much I’ve always hated the visiting team?

But as none of the players is related to me, I sat back to enjoy 2-1/2 hours of music with Lovett leading forays into jazz, blues, country, rockabilly, gospel and ballads.  Though his stovepipe hair looked a little shorter than usual, Lovett’s voice and playing were as good as I remember.  Back in the car, I could have put on the radio or asked Michele to get the score off her phone, but I waited until we got back home, a few minutes before midnight.  Then I went downstairs to check the scoreboard on the Comcast sports’ site.  Only at that point did I become a kid again.
In sports, drama is of the essence (unless you can crush the other guy in the early innings).  Not wanting to see the entire line score, I scrowled down carefully so that just the New York part showed.  Let’s see, the score was 2-1 Sox when we parked the car.  The Yankees got one more run in the ninth.  That could only mean one thing—Sox win!  Sox win! 

No comments:

Post a Comment