Monday, February 6, 2017

Death Star 36 Falcons 28 (OT)


 I now know there are things worse in life than being a fan of the Chicago White Sox.  At least I don’t root for the Atlanta Falcons, who coughed up a 25-point second half lead in the Super Bowl before losing to New England Patriots in overtime.

Then again, I could be a Patriots’ fan, which is pretty much like saying you’re for Genghis Khan or Napoleon—c’mon, we’ll spot you half a continent if you play us.  I give you Bill Belichick, the Little Corporal, give or take a few inches.  At least with the Yankees of old, there was Casey Stengel doing his shtick to take the sting out of the beatings.  Between Belichick and quarterback Tom Brady, it’s all about the business of achieving utter, total, merciless domination.  Mother Teresa, you’re not welcome here.

Speaking of saints, the presentation of the Lombardi Trophy after the game reminded me of times in church when I was growing up.  From time to time, relics passed our way.  The students of St. Gall along with their parents were encouraged to behold this (literal) piece of a saint or a scrap of their clothing, either enclosed in glass so as to be kissed.  When we venerated a relic, it was supposed to bring us closer to God.  When the victorious Patriots kissed the trophy, what did that bring them closer to?  I wonder.     

No comments:

Post a Comment