Friday, February 3, 2017

If You Blinked...


 I’m still waiting for either of the Chicago papers to carry news that the pro softball Chicago Bandits were sold, with the buyer being the village of Rosement; this would be like Tammany Hall snapping up the Yankees or the Dodgers.  The longtime owner said it was time to do something else.
Along with the Chicago Sky trade of Elena Della Donne, the mostly unnoticed sale of the Bandits (for some reason, local TV mentioned it) is a real indictment of the state of women’s pro sports in Chicago.  I have no idea how to make the WNBA more popular, but I think with softball, the game has to be given more baseball flourishes, starting with the venues.  Until you get softball played in a place like Wrigley Field or Fenway Park, it’s going to have that aluminum bleacher feel to it, which is never a good thing.
Another way to go would be a formal connection between women’s softball and MLB, but I won’t hold my breath.        


NOTE:  I stand corrected in so far as the Tribune did run a small story about the sale in its local/regional news section.  I apologize for reading the sports' section first. 


No comments:

Post a Comment