Saturday, February 9, 2019

A Little Déjà vu


I was up at 6:30 on a Saturday morning to be out of the house by 7, in part because my purported better half needed an MRI on her right knee.  I told her not to drive to the basket against Antetokounmpo, but did she listen to me?

 

Walking to the car, I couldn’t help but feel that I’d been here before, if in slightly warmer temperatures.  We were always racing sunup to get to a travel tournament out in “Boo-foo,” as Clare called it.  Depending on the year, she was feeling some mix of confidence and uncertainty, or dread; that last year of travel was a nightmare, that is, until the two recruiting letters came.  Depending on the year, I probably felt exactly the same.

 Midmorning and we were in our daughter’s apartment.  I’d passed the Elmhurst softball field on the way, and now Clare had softball stories to tell.  We also talked about going to the cages now that her therapy for the labrum surgery was coming to an end.  The old mixed with the new in a most delightful way.    

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment