Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Am Matter of Perspective


I opened today’s Tribune sports’ section to read that the Astros’ Justin Verlander thinks “the system is broken” because free agents haven’t been making a killing the last two off-seasons; it should be noted Verlander makes north of $25 million a year.  Oh, and a columnist asked, “Why do so many people label players greedy in these [salary] matters while letting owners skate?  Indeed.

 

But I refuse the either/or choice sportswriters would force on me.  As a fan, I don’t want to end up in the middle of a players-owners’ tug-of-war that ends up with me paying more to watch the game both in person and on TV.  I guess that tends to make me conservative on salaries.  Here’s the catch.

 

I’m also a taxpayer.  Critics are right that owners get away with way too much; that’s why I want to raise the capital-gains’ tax rate.  I’m also big on increasing income-tax rates on the upper brackets.  By now, it should come as no surprise I’m also a big fan of the estate tax.  I mean, what was good for Andrew Carnegie is good for me.

 

When the rich fight, the rest of us suffer.  Fair taxes on rich players and richer owners would make a nice buffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment