Thursday, February 21, 2019

You Were Saying?


When we last heard from the Cubs’ Kris Bryant, he was telling the Tribune on Tuesday that, after two off-seasons in a row where the free-agent market has been slow, “I feel like the last CBA [collective bargaining agreement] we kind of got it stuck to us.”  And then Manny Machado had to go out and sign that $300 million deal.  Gosh, I wonder if Bryce Harper will sign for less.

 

Bryant also said, “Look, I get it.  It’s very hard to sympathize with guys making millions of dollars to play a game.  I totally get it.”  With all due respect, Kris, no, you don’t get it, not really.  You have no problem with escalating ticket prices and the Cubs moving to put virtually all their games on cable.  Not only is that no skin off your back, it promises to be more skin in your pocket, right?

Again, I hold no brief for the owners.  Let them do with their money as they want, provided I’m not subsidizing their stadiums in part or full.  Pay the players extraordinary salaries, or not.  Provoke a strike, or not.  But, when it comes to lay blame for killing the golden goose that is major league baseball, I don’t want anybody pointing fingers at fans.  We’re just the poor suckers who watch and pay.     
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment