Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Loyalties


I am not Borg.  My daughter, she’s Borg down to the electronic device resting in her hand at all times while my wife is close to being fully assimilated.  Me, not so much.  So, I didn’t get Clare’s text directly last night.  She had to go through Michele, who shared her screen with me to read. 

 

The text consisted of a screenshot of the message from Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray, who also happens to be the Oakland A’s #1 pick from last year’s draft.  Murray announced he is “firmly and fully committing my life and time to becoming an NFL quarterback,” to which my daughter responded, Bad Idea, or words to that effect.


The A’s knew the risk in drafting Murray, so I don’t feel bad for them.  For his part, Murray doesn’t know the risks of playing quarterback in the NFL, not at 5’10”, so I do feel sorry for him, a little.  I’d say he’ll regret his choice before long, but that’s his problem.

 

What I find truly ironic is how the A’s, like all of baseball, would rather gamble on an athlete whose heart belongs to another sport than consider someone who’d give anything just to have a tryout, someone like my daughter. 

Well, like they say, what goes around comes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment