Saturday, February 23, 2019

Put On a Happy Face


From what I gather, White Sox fans not directly related to me are morose over the loss of free agent Manny Machado to the Padres.  I just don’t get it.

 

I caught a snippet of Machado’s news conference and was struck by what you might call a lack of maturity.  Then again, I haven’t been 26 since more than half a lifetime ago, so it could be me.  In that case, let me just say money does not make a man suddenly wise.  If it did, wouldn’t Machado have worried how he will fare in a pitcher’s ballpark?  Good thing he has that five-year opt-out. 

 

At least it looks like Sox players are ready to move on from the front office’s failed courtship of the Three-Hundred-Million-Dollar Man.  Tim Anderson sounded like he would defend his position at shortstop to the death, and Daniel Palka said the Sox will be good as constituted.  You have to love that kind of optimism.

 

And it will soon be spring, when anything is deemed possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment